- This event has passed.
Bilingual Strategies (Part B) 16th September 2018 (King’s Cross)
September 16 10:15 am - 11:45 am
This is a 1 hour 30 minute workshop for parents/carers with children on Sunday 16th September 2018 at King’s Cross 10:15am-11:45am.
This is Part B of two workshops (Part A is Bilingual Foundations). It is not necessary to attend both workshops, but it is recommended. If you can’t make both dates, please contact Pui-Lai to find out the dates of future workshops, or to arrange a private consultation. This workshop is suitable for those with children from birth to beyond school years and is more practical with a focus on strategies.
Main things we will cover:
- Typical Speech and Language Development in relation to Bilingualism – exploring the different ways our children becomes bilingual, how their speech and language develops in the home/minority and majority language
- Advanced look at Parent/Adult Child Interaction (P/ACI) techniques and other research based models. Understanding these will allow us to build these strategies/skills effectively in our busy everyday lives to promote our child’s speech and language development from nursery to primary school years in all languages.
- Bi-literacy and its importance when raising a bilingual child.
- The minority language learning environment – what does research say we need to do about exposure? Practical ways of maximising our environment through realistic and simple methods as well as getting creative with how to use technology to our advantage no matter what our language proficiency is like.
- In-depth discussion with a qualified SLT and other like-minded parents/carers about issues such as during the early years and beyond the school years, such code switching and what to do/not do)
- Learn tips, tricks and other strategies that help to maintain the home/minority language and maximise your efforts
Sunday 16th September 2018 between 10:15am-11:45am at King’s Cross (venue TBC).
My qualifications and experience
As a Specialist Speech and Language Therapist (MSc UCL, HCPC, CertMRCSLT) with a special interest in multilingualism, my experience includes working with children for over 12 years (ages 0-18 years). I have also worked with numerous bilingual children and adults privately and with the NHS.
At home, I have raised a trilingual family – my husband speaks to our son exclusively in Mandarin, and I speak to our son in Cantonese and he responds fluently in both languages. His English – which he speaks to his school friends – is great and we have no concerns about his progress at school.
If you are interested then please contact me at [email protected] to book a place, stating Bilingualism Workshop Part B.
Limited spaces available. Concessions available for those with low income.
Children are welcome at the venue. There are baby changing facilities available.
Specialist Speech and Language Therapist
MSc UCL, BA (Hons) Warwick, HCPC, CertMRCSLT
“The workshop was informative and at the same time really practical. The indepth knowledge that covered both bilingualism and speech and language development was extremely useful and my wife and I really feel like we are equipped with what to do next for our child. Pui-Lai is clearly passionate about the subject and it is not often that workshops are useful, delivered well and pitched correctly for parents in mind. I would definitely recommend this for any one, not just…
“I’m really glad I found the workshops: it was great to meet Pui-Lai – it is clear that she is very qualified, knowledgeable and passionate around this subject. It was important that both my husband and I attended so that we could each understand and support our respective roles in our child’s language development. I found it most helpful to understand better what is achievable and not, so that you don’t get disappointed or put too much pressure on the…
“Thanks to Pui-Lai for actually bringing some clarity to the confusing mix of advice out there! We’re mixed nationality and want our future family to be able to comfortably communicate with all their relatives as well as keep a foothold of their heritage and culture. The workshop was an eye opening intro to the facts behind multilingualism and what techniques parents can lean on when planning to raise their kids learning more than one language. We would recommend it to…
“Your seminar was so useful and surpassed our expectation! We love the evidence-based approach and all the tips you’ve given us, both as a professional and a parent in similar situation. In fact, we have many friends who are multilingual couples and I would recommend you to all of them.” Languages: English, Cantonese, Mandarin, French
“The workshop motivated us a lot to raise our daughter trilingual. It was very interesting to learn more about the strategies to successfully teach her learning three languages. It was also very helpful in setting the right expectations.” Languages: German, Japanese and English
“It was great to have the opportunity to explore this topic from a very family focused personal perspective. I found it highly motivating to meet others who acknowledge minority language acquisition is not just going to happen, who seem to understand how important it is and how challenging it can be. Learning other families’ stories was fascinating. Pui Lai’s delivery was pitched just right: the authority of someone with the facts and theory but the practicality and realism of someone…