- This event has passed.
Bilingual Strategies (Part B) 24th June 2018
June 11, 2018 10:30 am - June 23, 2018 12:00 pm
This is a 1 hour 30 minute workshop for parents/carers with children on Sunday 24th June 2018 at King’s Cross 10:30am-12:00pm.
This is Part B of two workshops (Part A is Bilingual Foundations). It is not necessary to attend both workshops, but it is recommended. If you can’t make both dates, please contact Pui-Lai to find out the dates of future workshops, or to arrange a private consultation. This workshop is suitable for those with children from birth to beyond school years and is more practical with a focus on strategies.
Main things we will cover:
- Typical Speech and Language Development in relation to Bilingualism – exploring the different ways our children becomes bilingual, how their speech and language develops, what red flags to look out for and
- The Role of a Speech and Language Therapist and when to refer for clinical assessment
- Advanced look at Parent/Adult Child Interaction (P/ACI) techniques and how we can use these strategies effectively in our busy everyday lives to promote our child’s speech and language development
- Bi-literacy and what this can mean for raising a bilingual child
- The minority language learning environment – what does research say we need to do about exposure? Practical ways of maximising our environment through realistic and simple methods as well as getting creative with how to use technology to our advance no matter what our language proficiency is like.
- In-depth discussion with a qualified SLT and other like-minded parents/carers about issues such during the early years and beyond the school years, such code switching and what to do/not do)
- Learn tips, tricks and other strategies that help to maintain the minority language and maximise your efforts
Sunday 24th June 2018 between 10:30am-12:00pm at King’s Cross (venue TBC).
My qualifications and experience
As a Specialist Speech and Language Therapist (MSc UCL, HCPC, CertMRCSLT) with a special interest in multilingualism, my experience includes working with children for over 12 years (ages 0-18 years). I have also worked with numerous bilingual children and adults privately and with the NHS.
At home, I have raised a trilingual family – my husband speaks to our son exclusively in Mandarin, and I speak to our son in Cantonese and he responds fluently in both languages. His English – which he speaks to his school friends – is great and we have no concerns about his progress at school.
If you are interested then please contact me at [email protected] to book a place, stating Bilingualism Workshop Part B.
Limited spaces available. Concessions available.
Children are welcome at the venue. There are baby changing facilities available.
Specialist Speech and Language Therapist
MSc UCL, BA (Hons) Warwick, HCPC, CertMRCSLT
“Your workshop was a perfect balance between the theoretical elements and how to approach it in real-life. I found everything learnt really empowering. Your passion for this subject comes across without a doubt and I look forward to more workshops in future. Would definitely recommend.” Languages: Italian and English
“A really great opportunity to hear about both the theory and the practice behind how to raise a bilingual child from someone who has the academic and real-life experience in the subject matter. Thank you” Languages: Mandarin, German and English
“Very happy that I attended today, the workshop has given me great confidence to use the tools given and encourage bilingualism.” Languages: Spanish, French and English
“A must for all language enthusiasts, parents and educators! Pui-Lai has a deep understanding of the inner-workings of language. Attending the workshop helped me learn what I was doing right and what I could improve on in raising my kids bilingually. I look forward to attending the next workshop.” Languages: Spanish, German, English and French
“The workshop was informative and at the same time really practical. The indepth knowledge that covered both bilingualism and speech and language development was extremely useful and my wife and I really feel like we are equipped with what to do next for our child. Pui-Lai is clearly passionate about the subject and it is not often that workshops are useful, delivered well and pitched correctly for parents in mind. I would definitely recommend this for any one, not just…
“I’m really glad I found the workshops: it was great to meet Pui-Lai – it is clear that she is very qualified, knowledgeable and passionate around this subject. It was important that both my husband and I attended so that we could each understand and support our respective roles in our child’s language development. I found it most helpful to understand better what is achievable and not, so that you don’t get disappointed or put too much pressure on the…